Welcome to Columbia School District!
Our Mission Statement: In partnership with our community, our mission is to provide relevant and challenging work that engages students so they persist when experiencing difficulties and have a sense of accomplishment when they succeed.
Pre-School Placement Testing
There will be free developmental screenings for potential preschool children from the ages birth to five years old. Give Chelsea a call at 545-8571 if you are interested!
This Week's Events
MS Basketball Clinic (2:45pm)
Mat Rattlers Wrestling (5:30pm)
Board Meeting (7:00pm)
4th Grade Concerto Practice (12:45pm)
WWSO Round Table, HS Library (5:30pm)
4th Grade Concerto (6:30pm)
MS Basketball Clinic (2:45pm)
MS & HS Band Concert, HS Auditorium (7:30pm)
Lacrosse, Football Field (6:00pm)
Lacrosse, Football Field (9:00am)
DNA of Teaching & Learning
Curriculum Guide (includes C-Terms 360)
This Week's Teacher Collaboration News
Monday, March 20, 2017:
COLUMBIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - BINGO was a tremendous success…it raised nearly $1,700.00 for the Elementary PTO! This week during collaboration the following was discussed by the teachers:
▪ Mrs. Beden helped the 2nd grade teachers set up the Reach 4 Reading website for the students, the 4th grade continued to review the different options/components of the program.
▪ Scholastic News (part of the Social Studies adoption by the District) is mentioned as such a valuable resource at all the grade levels; 1st grade really likes the readability of the periodical this time of year (and the online resources!)
▪ Kindergarten started working on the various parts of the presentation at Kindergarten Graduation 2017! Additionally, they are using MobyMax, flash cards, unifix cube games, dominoes and dice to support students learning their addition/subtraction facts!
▪ The Science investigation using heat (how to guide the hypothesis and evaluate the summative project on matter.)
COLUMBIA MIDDLE SCHOOL - Today during collaboration the middle school staff met and discussed our student led conference schedule and communication to parents. We also talked about what kind of schedule to use for state testing and also end of year staff development ideas.
COLUMBIA HIGH SCHOOL - For collaboration on 3/20, the staff at Columbia High School chose a variety of Professional Learning Community options for participating in. The content of these PLC groups included:
▪ Cross-building collaboration for the music programs. Staff worked together to plan for showcasing music groups and recruiting participants for upcoming schedule building.
▪ Lesson plan reviews, utilizing protocols aimed at increasing student engagement. A main theme was the increase of visual representations to aid in learning.
▪ A group focused on technology in the classroom, specifically the use of Microsoft Access.
▪ The final group worked to complete the studetn growth goals and meassures and reporting of test scores for these goals and measures.
Weather Delay & Closure Notifications
Watch this page for any school delays or closures during our winter season. We will be posting the details in a scrolling banner.
Parents, staff and students wishing to receive Columbia School District weather closure/delay announcements via email, text message, or push notification can sign up by going to
When you get to that page, start the process by entering your email address and setting a password. Once the account is established, you may add one or two additional email or cell text addresses. Each new entry will require you to launch a test message to that address which will contain a two-letter code which must be entered back onto your account page to ensure that the address(es) is valid, or by clicking the link in the message. Keep in mind that the cell phone companies can get backlogged on weather mornings as they try to keep up with the text messages, so it is recommended that you not rely entirely on text messages. We recommend you download the new, free app for iOS and Android called FlashAlert Messenger. It uses push notification to send messages directly to your phone, bypassing the cell companies' text message channel. Search for FlashAlert Messenger at the iTunes App Store (iOS) or at Google Play (Android).
Also check www.KNDU.com for area school delays and closures.
Technology Updates will return in the Fall. Stay Tuned!
My Traffic Estimate