Welcome to Columbia School District!
A reminder for lunch accounts: When you send your child with lunch money it may take up to 24 hours for the money to be posted to the account. Columbia School District has a no-charge policy, therefore, students who have a "0" balance may not be able to purchase lunch until the following day.
Our Mission Statement: In partnership with our community, our mission is to provide relevant and challenging work that engages students so they persist when experiencing difficulties and have a sense of accomplishment when they succeed.
DNA of Learning and Teaching
This Week's Teacher Collaboration News
Monday, December 2, 2013:
COLUMBIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - Three full weeks until Winter Break! There is a lot going on; please make sure you slow down and enjoy this time of year with your children. Today, during collaboration:
• Pre-school worked on math activities specifically for recognizing, copying, extending and creating patterns will help children develop an awareness of sequence and an unconscious recognition of one-to-one correspondence. Mrs. Taylor’s group also discussed a variety of seasonal activities.
• Kindergarten reviewed the WaKids data and discussed the student growth reports that should be saved by the school. The teachers then moved onto the science program and are integrating the social studies and science units for December.
• The first grade teachers discussed communication with parents and will be doing some individual conferences in January. Additionally, the group addressed the variety of reading assessments we are doing at the elementary school and how the students are doing on the growth measures. The teachers also discussed changing the math pacing guide for the next couple of months to make sure students are learning the basics of addition and subtraction.
• The second grade teachers shared information with each other on a subtraction poem that is supporting increased student learning, different websites the group has discovered and the social studies unit on China. The unit not only teaches high interest information about China, but also compares customs to the US and developing different types of vocabulary.
• Third grade is covering a variety of information the three weeks prior to Winter Break. This includes: the skeleton and muscles, nutrition, multiplication story problems, and a compare/contrast writing on favorite holidays.
• The fourth grade is also working on writing,; the students will be using a planning tool to develop character, setting an plot. The kids will also begin their salmon unit in science and in reading the students will be reading Boss of the Plains.
• In science this week, the students will be working on simple machines using the equation force x distance =work. A story about the American Revolution called Katie’s Trunk is the focus of social studies and reading. In math, fractions and long division....ok, the students will be very ready for Winter Break!
COLUMBIA MIDDLE SCHOOL - During the December 2nd collaboration our language arts teachers met to discuss and begin a process to align scoring methods and expectations for writing assignments across grade levels.
Other teachers met to finalize their student growth goals for the new teacher evaluation system.
COLUMBIA HIGH SCHOOL - During the December 2nd collaboration session the high school staff members worked within their Professional Learning Communities on the topics of "Setting Instructional Outcomes." Setting Instructional Outcomes is one of the components from the teaching framework that Columbia School District has adopted for the 13/14 school year and beyond. The exercise that each PLC group completed included a review of the curricular content in their specific content areas, identifying probable instructional outcomes, identifying multiple formative and summative assessment options and following up for students who struggle with reaching the expected outcomes. In future collaborative sessions the PLC groups will be streamlining the instructional outcomes. role on the team, or if you’re willing to work toward establishing, please let me know.
Each PLC group also spent some time discussing potential goals for a new Student Assistance Team at Columbia HS. The student assistance team (SAT) will be utilized to identify students in need of assistance, and planning for providing and/or referring these students to the proper assistance providing agencies.
Columbia School District is working to enhance technology in the classroom. Interactive Whiteboards are our latest addition.
Click HERE for a video demo.
Cold Weather Center
Watch this page for any school delays or closures during our winter season. We will be posting the details in a scrolling banner like last year.
Also check www.KNDU.com for area school delays and closures.