Welcome to Columbia School District!
A reminder for lunch accounts: When you send your child with lunch money it may take up to 24 hours for the money to be posted to the account. Columbia School District has a no-charge policy, therefore, students who have a "0" balance may not be able to purchase lunch until the following day.
Our Mission Statement: In partnership with our community, our mission is to provide relevant and challenging work that engages students so they persist when experiencing difficulties and have a sense of accomplishment when they succeed.
DNA of Learning and Teaching
This Week's Teacher Collaboration News
Monday, October 27, 2014:
COLUMBIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Report coming soon.
COLUMBIA MIDDLE SCHOOL - On October 27th the middle school staff met to discuss the necessary move for our school to incorporate the English Language Arts standards throughout all content areas. We reviewed what’s expected of our students for the Smarter Balanced Assessment as well as reviewed the tiers of vocabulary. We ended by providing the staff with various vocabulary strategies that can be utilized in any classroom using the Thinking Maps we were trained on at the beginning of school. The following were the goals of the presentation.
▪ To help the staff understand what’s expected from our students for the Smarter Balanced Assessment in regards to English Language Arts
▪ Present a couple ELA strategies that could be incorporated in the content area
▪ Inform the staff of the 3 shifts taking place in teaching to ensure our students are prepared for the smarter balanced assessment
▪ Build an understanding among staff of the three tiers of Language
▪ The need for creating a solid list of tier 2 words to be taught across content areas
▪ Provided opportunities for staff to experience vocabulary word activity that could be used in any classroom
COLUMBIA HIGH SCHOOL - During the October 27th collaboration session at Columbia High School, a main topic for much of the staff was collaborating on ‘student alerts,’ teaming to discuss students who are considered ‘at-risk’ of failing one or more classes. Our new Student Services Coordinator brainstormed along with staff on what activities have worked well with at risk students and what activities may not have helped. Teachers also shared best practice scenarios for managing classroom behaviors, student work procedures and grading processes.
Columbia School District is working to enhance technology in the classroom. Interactive Whiteboards are our latest addition.
Click HERE for a video demo.
Cold Weather Center
Watch this page for any school delays or closures during our winter season. We will be posting the details in a scrolling banner like last year.
Also check www.KNDU.com for area school delays and closures.