Welcome to Columbia School District!
A reminder for lunch accounts: When you send your child with lunch money it may take up to 24 hours for the money to be posted to the account. Columbia School District has a no-charge policy, therefore, students who have a "0" balance may not be able to purchase lunch until the following day.
Our Mission Statement: In partnership with our community, our mission is to provide relevant and challenging work that engages students so they persist when experiencing difficulties and have a sense of accomplishment when they succeed.
Restaurant Simulation 2014
Come one, come all! The Foods and Nutrition's third period class will be serving savory Hawaiian cuisine inside a friendly and fun atmosphere.
Experience the sights and flavors of the South Pacific at Hawaii 5-O all while helping students learn valuable lessons in restaraunt managment. Head on down on the 6th of May between 12:15-1:30 to Mrs. Williams' room to have an amazing meal!
DNA of Learning and Teaching
This Week's Teacher Collaboration News
Monday, April 21, 2014:
COLUMBIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL -STEAM Expo is happening on Wednesday of this week…we are all happily planning for it. This is a very busy week with preparing for the SBAC test (we hope the computers get here soon…thank you so much to our technology department) and other spring events. This week for collaboration:
• Kindergarten reviewed upcoming May events including planting beans and to work on subtraction and three dimensional shapes.
• 1st grade prepared for STEAM and discussed doing activities to showcase what the students are currently doing with our weather kit.
• 2nd grade also worked on things for the STEAM Expo and reviewed the math scope and sequence to the end of the year.
• 3rd grade…well, they worked on the STEAM Expo and discussed the samples on the computer for the Smarter Balanced assessment that is coming our way.
• The 4th grade teachers reviewed how the students are doing on the essential math program and are working strategically with those students that have not reached goal. Additionally, the group will be going to Ice Harbor Dam for a tour this Thursday morning!
• 5th grade worked on writing prompts and activities to engage the students in writing 5 paragraph and like everyone, reviewed and planned what they are going to do for the STEAM Expo.
MIDDLE SCHOOL - During the April 14th collaboration the Middle School staff met as a group and discussed issues around our schedule for next year. First we started by discussing blocking reading and language arts in our schedule and how it could greatly improve the learning of our students. We also talked about ability grouping our intervention periods instead of grade level grouping as they currently are. This brought up some other issues regarding Response to Intervention and how we need to find ways to help motivate the students who are underperforming. We talked about having more enrichment classes for those students who are not in need of interventions. We discussed the pros and cons of each topic and next steps. The general consensus was that blocking reading and language arts was a good idea as was ability grouping our intervention classes. The major concern with ability grouping our intervention classes was the need to have a set of materials that would meet the students needs.
COLUMBIA HIGH SCHOOL - For the April 21st collaboration session at Columbia High School the main focus of attention for the staff was the writing of Student Growth goals. Staff worked with partners to solidify curricular-area student growth goals and also looked at data measures to assure the completion and achievement of the growth goals.
Additionally groups of staff broke out in planning sessions on the following topics:
• Our FBLA State champions, how funding for their national competition may occur.
• Weights and Physical Education classes, designing strength and conditioning activities across this curricular area.
• Transitional math course and the Collection of Evidence that is included in the course.
Columbia School District is working to enhance technology in the classroom. Interactive Whiteboards are our latest addition.
Click HERE for a video demo.
Cold Weather Center
Watch this page for any school delays or closures during our winter season. We will be posting the details in a scrolling banner like last year.
Also check www.KNDU.com for area school delays and closures.